Saturday, November 27, 2010

I'm Out $400+ And I Haven't Even Hit Trader Joe's Yet

Yesterday, I shopped at Whole Foods and Rainbow Grocery in preparation for the cleanse.  I'm now out $437 and I still need to go to Trader Joe's.  Granted, I had to stock up on many condiments (gluten-free soy sauce, etc.) that I wouldn't have to buy every time were I to eat this way permanently.  Also, I purchased several brands of certain things -- soy cheese, for example -- to determine which appealed most.  I also went crazy on the cleanse-compliant snack foods because that is where I fear I could slip up -- I want to have a lot available to me so I don't.

Breads were the hardest products to find.  If they were gluten-free, they often had eggs or sugar.  Similarly, yogurts were tough -- coconut-milk yogurts sound great but they contain sugar.  Sugar is, in fact, the element of this cleanse that I am most worried about.  I now realize how dependent I am not only on my sugar fixes (from mid-afternoon "Heavenly chocolate-chip cookies" from Noah's -- and they ARE heavenly -- to my nighttime peanut butter-chocolate chip concoctions) but also on products that contain sugar, including products (like salad dressing!) that aren't even sweet!  This is going to be my greatest challenge.  I just don't know if Medjool dates are going to cut it.

I am grateful, however, that we live in San Francisco where excellent organic produce is the norm and places like Rainbow Grocery have so many options for vegan and gluten-free eaters.  Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment