Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Amazing Resources (Thanks, TS!)

My friend Tracy (many of you know her from school), a former vegan and extremely mindful eater, sent me these fabulous resources and tips!  Enjoy!  Leslie

Baking
  • Ground flax meal (one egg = 1 Tbsp flax seed meal mixed with 3 Tbsp water, whisk in small bowl & let sit for 2-3 minutes; add to a recipe as you would an egg).  I have used this in “from scratch” recipes (mostly breads).  I prefer this over “egg replacer”.  I’ve not tried it in cookie recipes
  • Most of the GF boxed baked items (cakes, cookies, etc) I have tried are g-r-o-s-s!
  • Sweetener:  Agave Light–is a lighter taste, but a little goes a long way.  Dark is a much heavier taste.  I’ve not baked much with agave as I always tasted it too much (if you try it, maybe reduce the recommended amount)
  • Maple Syrup:  depending the “grade” of the syrup, it can be powerful and take over the taste
  • Date/ Maple Sugar????
  • I've tried sucant (sp) and it was ok.  Consistency of final product was "odd" (kinda crumbly, flaky)
  • I have to admit, I use white sugar for most of my baking - but I try to get one that is vegan (not bleached with chlorine or other scary chemicals). 
 Popcorn Topper
  • Nutritional Yeast (available in bulk at Whole Foods and Rainbow)
  • Parma (http://www.eatintheraw.com/ -- in bulk at Whole Foods and Rainbow)  -both the spicy & cheesy ones are awesome!!
 Grains
  • I’ve been skipping grains lately & replacing everything with ground up cauliflower (cauliflower meet my cuisinart & take a spin) 
  • There are some GF pasta’s.  I tried one that was in a greenish-blue box.  It was ok. Kinda thick and sticky.
 Other Tidbits (I've not checked these items for gluten)
  • Trader Joe’s Soy Yogurt
  • Whole Soy Yogurt
  • Kale Chips (available at Rainbow & Whole Foods, but you can make your own – Kale + nutritional yeast or Parma + oven) –high in fat though
  • Spice / Fruit:  add some extra spice (smoked paprika, garlic, ginger) or lemon / lime juice to a meal – jazzy!
  • Most capsule medications (OTC and prescription) contain gelatin (animal product). If you do not know what gelatin is, trust me when I say you never want to eat it again. 
  • When eating out & ordering vegan, stress you are vegan for allergy reasons (you will be taken much more seriously)
  • Fresh Spring rolls – sounds like a lot of work, but they are easy to make (fresh veggies, lettuce, basil mint, rice paper and maybe some smoked tofu).  If you cannot make at home, Sunflower (16th / Valencia), and Le Soleil (Clement / Arguello), Out the Door (Bush/Fillmore) have great ones
  • Baked tofu: Savory Baked from Trader Joes & Wildwood are good, but I prefer the delights from Hodo Tofu (Saturday Ferry Plaza Farmers Market and some Whole Foods)
  • Earth Balance Organic Buttery Spread (for toast, I’ve not baked with it)
  • Kombucha  - fermented raw tea drink (available in a bottle at Rainbow, Whole Foods).  I love GT Synergy brand, in particular the Ginger Aid, Gingerberry, Cranberry one, Super Green, all are great. Kinda gives me a kick (like caffeine) on an empty stomach
  • Sprinkle fresh fruit salad with a touch of honey/agave & lime juice (or even a dash of cayenne)
  • Daiya Cheese Alternative – good, but will probably taste “funny” --- melts well though.  It is all rage now, but I prefer “vegan gourmet” (we’re talking pizza here)
 Brands, Restaurants (I've not checked these items for gluten)
  • Maripossa (Ferry Plaze Farmers Market, Whole Foods)
  • Pica Pica is GF & has vegetarian options (but I think can be vegan)
  • Café Gratitiude (my opinion:  they are expensive, service stinks & so do some of the servers, literally, and they are pricey; but get a half-order or just order dessert)
  • Gracias Madre – owned by Café Gratitude, but a better experience.  Still slow service, but the dishes are deelish (kale side dish, salads, and tacos)
  • Plant Organic – I think they have some GF options (I always assume if a place has vegan options, they can go GF)
  • Herbivore
  • Sweet and Sara - http://www.sweetandsara.com/
  • Amici’s – they have a GF vegan pizza (and probably deliver to you)
  • Patxi’s – they have vegan cheese, not sure about vegan crust
  • Millennium
  • Encuentro (my new fave)
  • Gather (a friends’ fave)
  • Divvies (http://www.divvies.com/)
 Chefs, Cool People, Cookbooks I love
  • Skinny Bitch in the Kitch & Skinny Bitch (Freedman)
  • The Vegan Table & The Joy of Vegan Baking (Colleen Patrick Goudreau)
  • How it all Vegan & The Garden of Vegan (Sarah Kramer & Tanya Barnard)
  • Deborah Madison
  • Mollie Katzen
  • Alicia Silverstone’s “The Kind Diet” (http://www.thekindlife.com/)
  • The 30-minute Vegan (Mark Reinfel & Jennifer Murray)
  • You Won’t Believe it is Vegan (Lacey Sher & Gail Doherty)
 Websites I stalk (mostly vegan, but can probably support a GF lifestyle too):

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Wow! Which Tracy is this from? This is wonderful, Mary

    ReplyDelete