Thursday, December 2, 2010

Confessions of a Former Drug Addict

I’d heard it a million times, but now I know it’s true: Caffeine is a drug. I know this because of the headache hell I have been living in since taking my last hit (that’s drug speak for “sip”) on Sunday. I have newfound empathy for any one struggling with addiction—narcotics, shoes, reality TV, etc. This is nasty business and is my payback for drinking Diet Coke like water for so long.

I don’t think I’ve written anything without caffeine in my system since I stopped nursing my now 7-year-old 3rd child. I am a bit worried that my vocabulary, grasp on grammar, and any sense of story were all buoyed by my caffeine habit. Like the athlete who depends on performance enhancing drugs, or the alcoholic who produces amazing art only when lubed, I wonder, "Can I blog without caffeine?" So I'm going to ease into it.

Here is a synopsis of Day Two and Three. Narrator’s voice should be slightly cranky but still hopeful:

Day Two:

-Couldn’t hold a “plank” for full minute at exercise class.

-Couldn’t remember where I parked car.

-While driving, had to pull over from headache pain. Tucked into parking space in front of La Mediterranee. Sign out front read, “Today’s Special--Vegan Curry.”

-Had delicious vegan curry lunch.

-Sat in car for 25 minutes before felt able to drive safely.

-After putting eldest on baseball bus to Treasure Island, I promptly left his notebook and backpack lying on lobby floor at school for the night.

-Fed kids dinner at 4:55pm, so I could “lie down” asap. Me to daughter: “Mommy doesn’t feel well and is going to lie down for a few minutes.” Daughter to me: “Mommy, aren’t you on this diet so you feel better?” Me: Touche.

Weds:

-Crippling headache upon waking early; early--since son has to get to school in time to do homework in notebook sitting on lobby floor.

-Still leery of oatmeal and protein shakes (see Day One), made delicious breakfast of peanut butter on gluten-free toast. This meal could become addictive.

-Tough time staying awake during very interesting presentations by smart, informed educators.

-Enjoyed delicious Cleanse-friendly lunch prepared by kindhearted and generous friend.

-Gave away last case of Diet Coke to above-mentioned kindhearted friend .

-Assured by another friend that giving up caffeine was the best thing she ever did. (She does have good skin.)

-Had Blue Barn salad w/falafel for dinner.

-Headache entered manageable realm.

-After throwing away take-out Chinese containers, viewed Leslie’s mouthwatering blog photos of meals she’s cooked her family.

-Vowed not to let husband read blog anymore.

-Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment