Monday, December 6, 2010

Plain Old Regular Friendly

My daughter and I were looking forward to Japanese food tonight--we were both craving tempura and the salted Edamame that somehow taste better than those I buy at the market. When our evening evaporated, I decided to splurge on some take out. I checked Yelp and called a new place that sported a website that looked vegan and gluten-free friendly (great reviews and a great typeface)--Chin's Sushi Bar and Restaurant in the Richmond. Well it turns out Chin's is not just vegan and gluten-free friendly, it's plain old regular friendly as well.

The lovely man who answered the phone brainstormed with me about dishes I could eat, then offered to make me special veggie tempura from scratch using rice flour instead of their regular all-purpose flour. He then suggested another veggie rice noodle dish that he tailored to my tastes. Twenty minutes later he called to apologize that their dipping sauce contained wheat. Fifteen minutes later he arrived at my door. Huge helping of veggie tempura, two giant veggie noodle wraps, edamame: $18, including delivery.

Disclosure: This was by no means great Japanese food. But it was a refreshing change from my beans and curries and salads. I'm a new fan. http://www.chinsushibar.com/chin_index.html

-Mary

1 comment: