Sunday, December 5, 2010

Day 7: Some Things Are Surprisingly Easy

So we're 1/3 of the way through the cleanse and some things have been surprisingly easy.  Going vegan?  Totally easy.  Giving up gluten?  Not too bad.  Eliminating sugar?  Pretty hard.  That said, I really had no problem turning this down today:
Yup, that's the dessert table from the cookie party I mentioned in an earlier post.  Really, it was not that hard to pass up those goodies.  (In fact, eating my quinoa with gluten-free soy sauce instead of beautiful chicken salads, brie, etc. was much harder.)  And skipping the latkes (made with eggs, unfortunately) at Saturday's Hanukkah party wasn't too hard either.  (I just basked in the aroma, which was heavenly.)  Seriously, if it weren't for the cleanse, I probably would have eaten about 11 latkes and about 10 donuts at that Hanukkah party.  Instead, I walked out feeling pretty darn proud.  And I've even stopped obsessing about coffee.

That said, what IS hard is that I don't feel all that different.  I want to feel GREAT, WONDERFUL, FABULOUS, BETTER THAN EVER.  Instead, I feel...about the same.  And I've had private conversations with a few cleansers who are confessing...elimination issues...primarily from the massive influx of beans.  So I do believe our bodies are in an adjustment phase.  I'm hoping that phase is brief and I soon start to feel GREAT, WONDERFUL, FABULOUS, BETTER THAN EVER.  In the meantime, I'll be requesting some vegan and low-sugar baking books from the library because I do expect to take a few of these new habits into my post-cleanse existence.  Leslie

6 comments:

  1. for latkes - try the scallion potato cakes from the Ad Hoc cookbook - no eggs and amazingly tasty!!! (http://momofukufor2.com/2010/07/thomas-kellers-ad-hoc-at-home-scallion-potato-cake-recipe/) btw - the agedashi tofu recipe you can find on this website is also quite good - i made it using GF flour instead of regular so i'm sure that took a bit of a hit, but still pretty tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also on the elimination issue. I got this Raw Cleanse kit from Whole Foods. It was on sale at Whole Foods on 4th and Harrison and maybe all Whole Foods. It is made by Garden of Life. It is a week supply of powders and some capsules to take with breakfast and lunch. It is vegan and gluten free. I have been taking it for two days and let me tell you I have eliminated. I think it is helping me detox.

    ReplyDelete
  3. leslie,
    -that is quite a cookie table to pass up!
    -i'm feeling light. i dont' weigh myself so can't say for sure how many lbs, but i don't feel bloated or round. of course this makes me feel very SMUG. nothing worse than a smug vegan.
    -i just checked out the skinny bitch cookbook - it looks good.
    -korean food is a very vegan friendly cuisine. went to house of tofu yesterday & i could eat almost everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leslie, you go girl! Yunah, I want to eat what you're eating . . . . -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. today i ate:
    -same breakfast as usual, low fat plain yogurt w/ blueberries, walnuts, chia seeds, flax seeds, macca powder, soymilk. green tea.
    lunch: lots of roasted pumpkin. some peanut butter w/ cacao bliss. apple
    dinner: ton of stir fried broccoli w/ balsamic dressing, hummus, crackers (mary's gone crackers. more cacao bliss.

    this sounds really healthy doesn't it? but huge quantities of all ofabove.
    there was an article about narcissism in nyt today.......

    ReplyDelete