Thursday, December 2, 2010

Damn You, Sugar. Damn You.

I was going to be gone for several hours so I packed up a bunch of food to take with me.  I decided to try one of the soy yogurts I bought last week at Whole Foods.  I expected it to be gross but I needed some protein.  Before one of my appointments, I sat in my car and dug in.  It was DELICIOUS.  It was lemon flavor and tasted just like regular yogurt.  How could that be?  I wondered.  I know I checked the ingredients.  Still in disbelief after the second bite, I looked at the nutrition facts.  18 GRAMS OF SUGAR!  How is that possible? I wondered.  I checked the label again: the second (!) ingredient was evaporated cane juice.  Ugggghhh!  I put it on my dashboard and stared at it:

I considered finishing it.  After all, it would be wasting food if I didn't.  And I needed some protein.  But then I checked the label again -- 6 grams of protein.  That meant there were 3 times as many sugar grams as protein grams.  Ugh.  I dumped it.  Big lesson learned here about sugar.  If I take nothing else away from this cleanse, I will be far more knowledgeable about my sugar intake.  While I don't feel especially different yet on the cleanse, I know all the sugar I'd been consuming cannot have been good for me.  Leslie

Other notes:
Yunah -- Your post about fish/your boys -- funny!  (And speaking of funny, getting to read Mary's posts is a HUGE side benefit of this cleanse!)
Jen -- Thanks for the Beano recommendation.  I guess the beans/gas thing is not an old wives tale after all!  :)

3 comments:

  1. I think these food labels are like holograms--they say different things depending on how the light hits them. You have amazing will power Leslie! -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yunah -- I'm not sure -- what's in carob, exactly? Or is carob just...carob?
    Mary -- LOL! And YOU are the one with will power considering how sick you've felt the last few days.

    ReplyDelete